One of my favorite bloggers, the author of DearLilyJune, was sweet enough to nominate me for the Infinity Dreams Award late last year, and I have been slack about fulfilling my obligations to accept it. I was thrilled to be recognized, as I started my blog just last year. Thank you, LilyJune’s Mama, for your kind words and nomination. I have been a slacker long enough, so here is my reply:
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and link back.
- Post the award badge and rules.
- Tell 11 facts about yourself.
- Answer the questions that were set for you to answer.
- Nominate 11 other bloggers and set questions for them.
11 Facts About Me
- I have been writing most of my life. The reason most of my elementary school teachers wrote, “Debbie is SO quiet!” on my report card, is I was busy drafting four-line poems, sketching, or devouring my latest book order those teachers were silly enough to give me mid-morning instead of waiting until just before school let out.
- I love taking pictures, and think capturing something on film, or digitally, and being able to share it with others is almost magical.
- If I had been any kind of smart in math, I would have been a scientist. My first choice was to be a biologist, but I really think I would have been happier as a geologist. If I had been really good at math, though, I might have been an astrophysicist. I also find quantum mechanics fascinating, although trying to actually understand it kind of makes my brain hurt.
- In preparation for my non-existent career as a scientist, I took Latin in college. I do wish, however, I had learned a language I could actually use. (My apologies to my Latin professor and her G.A.)
- My ideal vacation/trip would be exploring Yellowstone National Park. I do realize Yellowstone has a huge magma chamber beneath it, just biding its time. I will be sure to plan my trip around any suspicious, larger-than-usual rumblings.
- I used to be a night owl, but having to work for lo, these many years, cured me of that. I did spend the better part of the last five years working evenings, which has totally messed up my sleep schedule/circadian clock/whatever-you-want-to-call-it. Some mornings I get up at 6; others, “Well, hey! Is it lunchtime already?!”
- When I was young, I loved horses, and asked for one just about every Christmas. I got horse books, horse collectibles, and many other nice gifts, but never a real, live horse. I have, however, forgiven my parents for this, because, I am sure I would have been allergic to horses anyway.
- I absolutely love cats: big ones, small ones, wild ones, tame ones. Snow leopards are at the top of the list, followed closely by tigers. And, of course, house cats, of which I will likely have no more, because, after spending so much time with them, I am now allergic.
- If I had a choice between getting cured of allergies and having perfect vision, eyesight would win, hands down. Why? Because I really like to see.
- It’s kind of difficult to think of 11 random questions I want to answer.
- I really, really, can’t think of another question to ask myself right now.
8 Questions I Have Been Tasked by DearLilyJune to Answer
- What are your feelings about infinity? Do they scare you? Excite you? Annoy you? Or do they create a combination of those feelings? Infinity is both exciting and confounding, as I have only been here x amount of years, and infinity is, well, forever.
- What is the biggest irony of your life? I have worked for newspapers off and on for years, and each time I leave, I say I will never go back. Guess where I’m working now.
- In the battle between pizza and coffee, which wins? If I could actually eat pizza or drink coffee with no problems, it would be pizza, no contest. But, since I can’t, I’m substituting hot chocolate. Life without chocolate is awful.
- What do you worry about? I don’t worry nearly as much as I used to. But I do worry about my family.
- Who do you love? See Question 4.
- What do you fear? If you stand me up to speak in front of a crowd, you will probably hear my knees knocking.
- How would you complete, No matter how old I am, I am still? Skittish.
- No matter my current age, I will always . . . Be curious.
My 5 nominees (yes, I chose only five) for the Infinity Dreams Award are, in no particular order, as follows:
- theseeds4life.com, for ongoing encouragement and inspiration.
- writescience.com, for communicating scienc-ey topics to everyday people like me.
- theanxiousgardener.com, for its feel-good posts about gardening, and those beautiful pictures.
- incidentalnaturalist.com, a nature blog with great info and stunning photos.
- rockbottomreminders.com, for the author’s skill in writing, humor and our shared fear of Excel spreadsheets.
My questions for the nominees are:
- If you didn’t have to work for a living, you would . . .
- What is something even your friends wouldn’t guess about you?
- What do you do best?
- Describe yourself in three words or phrases.
- What do you like about blogging?
- What is the best advice anyone ever gave you?
- If you could go back and change anything about your life, what would it be?
- How many books do you read each year?
- Do you prefer fiction or non-fiction?
- If the new ninth planet turns out to exist, what would you name it?